FOUR FOUNDATIONS I COULDN'T LIVE WITHOUT: FRIDAY FAVORITES

published on













I used to be a Bare Minerals addict. In fact, I hadn't ever worn a liquid foundation in my life until last summer. Now that I've crossed over from the dark side, I thought I'd share with you my all-time favorites in case you're in a makeup rut, or have never ventured into liquids. An FYI: my skin is normal in the summer; dry in the winter, I don't have sensitive or acne prone skin, but I do have significant redness around my nose and cheeks that I generally like to conceal with a more medium to full coverage foundation. Now that I've talked your ear off about nothing at all, let's get into the reviews, shall we?

1. Hourglass Immaculate Powder Foundation ($55 for 1 oz): This liquid-to-powder foundation is phenomenal. It's matte, gives a medium to full coverage and turns into a powder while you're blending it in. I recommend this for either (a) my oily girls out there, or (b) any girl in the winter that wants that flawless porcelain doll look. I get a full 8-10 hour day out of this, except around my nose area (which I expect from all foundations). This is the only foundation on this list that I've ever gotten compliments about. Every time I wear this, I'm not kidding, strangers (in line at my grocery store or local food truck, for example) will comment about how beautiful my skin is. If your bank account is screaming for you to splurge on something you totally, absolutely, do not whatsoever need (but obviously really want), go buy this. Now.

Cons: (a) you can't build it up; once it's on, it turns to powder, so if you try to add more layers, it simply wipes away your first layer (I accidentally wrote "lawyer" there, no joke), and (b) it's ridiculously expensive. I have a foundation collection of about 20 different types, and this is the most expensive (even more than the Marc Jacobs Genius Gel Foundation--and come on, it's Marc Jacobs!)

2. Revlon Colorstay Liquid Foundation ($8-12 for 1 oz): I use the oily to combo formula in the summer, and the dry to combo formula in the winter. It's a very full coverage, 24+ hour wear (I wore it to a beach day in Mexico, then a beach wedding, then all through the night, then on a ferry ride and then on a plane back to the US, for a total of 30 hours, and it still looked great), and natural finish. This is my go-to when I'll be at an event or taking photos. 

Cons: (a) it doesn't have a pump, and (b) you feel like you're wearing it/it looks like you have makeup on. That doesn't scare me because, gurl, I love wearing a full cat eye to the auto shop, but if you're someone used to a more natural look, the next foundation will make your life.

3. Neutrogena Healthy Skin Liquid Makeup ($12 for 1 oz): HOLY MACKEREL. This is my all time favorite foundation, and I just discovered it about a month ago. I don't know why, but I usually shy away from the Neutrogena products in the drugstore. Honey, was I wrong about this foundation, though. It goes on like a dream, delivers medium to full coverage, can be built up forever, and leaves a natural to dewy finish. You guys, this foundation changed my life. I personally have never liked the way my skin looks more than when I wear this. I don't even have a con for this. Okay, one: I wish it had a pump.

4. Rimmel Stay Matte Foundation ($5(!) for 1 oz): This reminds me of the Revlon Colorstay Whipped Foundation, only a lighter version. It will give you a full coverage, semi-matte look that can be built up. It's very beautiful on the skin. Y'all, it's five bucks. I can't even remember the last time I bought something for $5. Oh wait, an Oreo Sonic Blizzard is $4.80... 

Cons: If you have sensitive skin, stay far, far away from this. I haven't had a single issue, but I watched a whole slew of YouTube reviews, and many, many women that wore this had their face break out in teeny tiny spots. The other negative about this foundation is that it's not very long wearing. You can probably wear this for about six, maybe seven hours, and then it'll disappear from your nose and chin and start breaking up around your cheeks. If you're going out with the girls or work at home alone, this would be a great option. Using a primer and a setting spray will also help prolong your wear.

Three runners up: For summer, I like the Marc Jacobs Genius Gel, and for the winter, I like the Kat Von D Lock It Tattoo Foundation & Lancome Teint Idol Ultra. 

If you'd like to see a review of any other foundation, let me know! I'll go out and get any new foundation, test it out, take pictures, and post reviews--just comment down below!
RELATED POSTS

2 comments

  1. The Neutrogena one would be good for me, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Al! Next time you're in the drugstore, pick up the lightest or second to lightest shade. I'll pick you up one of those beauty sponges next time I'm at Ulta so you can use it the way I really love it!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts