NATURAL CONTOUR & HIGHLIGHT: A HOW TO

published on

Let's just jump right in, shall we? 

Products I used: It Cosmetics Bye Bye Redness, Neutrogena Healthy Skin Liquid Makeup in 30, It Cosmetics Bye Bye Undereye Concealer in Light, Sonia Kashuk Undetectable Cream Bronzer in 42, Rimmel Stay Matte Powder in Sandstorm (for the face), Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder (for the under eye area), Tarte Exposed blush, Mary Lou-Manizer by the Balm highlighter.
"Oh gurl, yo face looks niiiiice today! 
You should put a picture of it on the Internet." -No one ever.
1. First I apply my It Cosmetics Bye Bye Redness to the spots I'm naturally red. This is around my nose, the inner portions of my cheeks, and my chin.

2. Then I apply a layer of my favorite foundation and let it set for a bit before I get started contouring.

3. I take my concealer and draw a triangle under my eyes as I've marked for you above. Your concealer should be 1-2 shades lighter than your skin, at least, in order to get that highlighted appearance. I don't blend anything yet; I just place the concealer in a messy triangle.

4. Then I apply cream bronzer with a relatively stiff brush. I like the Makeup Geek Contour Brush and the Real Techniques Expert Face Brush for this. You want to apply a line of the cream bronzer: 

(a) Under your cheekbones. If you can't see it naturally, make a fishy face, and where your face naturally sucks in is where the color should go. If that doesn't work, feel your face. Where the bottom of your cheekbone ends, you should feel a small indent and that's where the color should go. And if that doesn't work, you may be an alien. Just kidding... it's safe to say that your contour should go about halfway through your ear. When applying the bronzer here, only go about from your ear to the outer edge of your eye and no closer towards your mouth. Otherwise you'll end up looking like a dude with a five o'clock shadow. You should aim towards the corner of your mouth without actually going all the way there.

(b) On the outer portions of your forehead. When doing this, just be sure to leave the very middle part of your forehead free of bronzer for a highlighted effect.

(c) On the edges of your nose. This is optional, but if you have a gigantic honker like me, any little bit of slimming and shadowing helps take the attention away from your shnoz. 

5. Once you look like an insane person (see: above for an example), you need to start blending. I blend my undereye area out with the Real Techniques sponge (a Beauty Blender works, too, but it's five times the price), then I take a stippling brush and blend, blend, blend the bronzer until it looks like you're naturally bronzy. The number one thing to remember with blending is when you blend the cheek bronzer, blend UP not down, out or over. Basically you want to blend it up towards where you would put your blush.

It should end up looking like this:
Blended out with no powder, blush or highlighter added.
Then I'll go in and powder my face, add blush, and then add highlighter to the high points of my cheeks, the bridge of my nose and my cupid's bow. And voila!


Finished Product
If you like this eye look, stay tuned because I'll post the tutorial next week using the Kat Von D Monarch Palette! And be sure to let me know if you have any suggestions/questions/comments for this tutorial!
RELATED POSTS

1 comment

  1. Yay for a contour tutorial! I tried this a while back, but I didn't know beforehand that you needed to use different tools to blend under the eye and the bronzer... I just needed someone to dumb it down for me. Haha.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts