FRIDAY FAVORITES: MASCARA

published on


So, this is going up on a Sunday. But! It was meant to go up on a Friday (the boyfriend and I stayed in and watched "Snowpiercer" and drank wine instead, though. Oops.)! Oh well, I'm keeping the title.

I've tried a lot of mascaras in my day, from drugstore to high end (YSL Babydoll mascara, give me my $40 back), American brands to Japanese brands. These are the ones I'm in love with now. FYI: I live for layering mascaras, and the way I've been wearing mine lately is this: One coat of Maybelline Illegal Length (I just bought this last week, so I haven't had enough time to decide if it's a favorite yet or not), one coat of Mally Volumizing Mascara or Jordana Best Lash Extreme, and one coat of Maybelline The Rocket in Waterproof.

1. Benefit They're Real! Mascara ($23): This is my all-time favorite mascara. (But because I'm a mascara junkie, I don't currently have a full-size in my collection.) It lengthens, volumizes, curls and lasts forever. It's not a waterproof formula, but this stuff stays on forever. They even had to develop a specific makeup remover for this mascara, that's how well it stays on. When I do have this rotating through my stash, i don't even have to layer products if I don't want to. It does everything you need in two coats.

2. Mally Volumizing Mascara ($20) & Jordana Best Lash Extreme ($3): I'm lumping these two together because they're the exact.same.mascara. I know they're not by the same brand, but they both do the exact same thing: give you a ridiculous amount of volume in the very first swipe. Now that I've had a chance to try the Mally mascara, I will probably pass it up for the Jordana one simply because it's $17 cheaper. 

3. Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara ($23) & L'Oreal Voluminous Miss Manga ($8): Again, I'm lumping these two together because they also deliver the same results. Your eyelashes look phenomenal when you use these mascaras. They're ridiculously long and amazingly volumized. The difference I find between these mascaras and Benefit's They're Real! is that the Benefit mascara doesn't deliver results that are as "whispy." Something about these two mascaras is softer than the Benefit mascara, and they don't require 40 minutes of scrubbing to remove them. One cautionary tale: If you're a sloppy mascara-applier, do not buy either of these. The brushes are large and have tons of bristles, and you'll have these mascaras from your elbows to your eyebrows if you're not careful.

4. Maybelline The Rocket Waterproof ($7): No matter what mascaras I have in my current rotation, I always have The Rocket in waterproof. This is the only waterproof mascara I use, and I use it for a very specific purpose, which brings me to the Tip of the Day... 

Tip of the Day: If your eyelids are oily, and you notice your mascara transferring up to your brow bone partway through the day, there's a simple solution: apply your non-waterproof mascaras as usual, and then lock everything in with a light coat of a waterproof mascara at the very end. This will prevent your mascara from transferring, but it won't be impossible to remove.

Tell me, what are your favorite mascaras? Do you layer a million formulas like me or are you a purist? What's the worst mascara you've ever used? I'd love to know, so leave a comment below!
RELATED POSTS

3 comments

  1. Best mascara OF ALL TIME: http://www.sephora.com/lights-camera-lashes-P111902?skuId=862417

    AND PRIMER: http://www.sephora.com/multipleye-clinically-proven-natural-lash-enhancing-primer-P255100?skuId=1226612

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And don't do the one in the gold bottle. DONT DO IT.

      Delete
    2. Fied-- I just added both of these to my Sephora wish list! Lord knows you have some of the best lashes in town, so thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete

Popular Posts