august favorites & fails

published on


August was a crazy month! I took almost two weeks off to spend some time with my family, and then I jetted off to Apsen with my best friend for five days. I had a hard time pulling products for this month's favorites post at first (which is why it's appearing five days into September), but once I finally sat down and thought about the things I packed for my travels, it became clear what I really loved, and what I really really hated. Let's get started.

FAVORITES:



1. Younique 3D Fiber Lashes Mascara: Guys, I don't know how I ever lived without this. It's like falsies in a tube. You can read a full review here.

2. Laura Geller Balance -N- Bronze Foundation & Bronzer Duo: So, Hautelook had Laura Geller on sale at the end of July, and I jumped at the chance to try out some of her products. I picked up this duo (and the one below it) because I loved the idea of getting to try out two products at once, at a much lower price tag! This bronzer is more of a reddish brown, so it's great for that oops-I-had-too-many-beers-at-the-pool flush (you know, if you're into that sort of thing), and the powder just does something unexplainable to your skin. It makes it even more flawless than it already looks with just foundation alone.

3. Laura Geller Blush -N- Brighten Duo in Boysenberry & Amaretti: This is a fantastic blush. It makes you look naturally flushed, and again, somehow makes your skin look even that much more flawless. And I love the highlighter as well! But beware, if you're afraid of glitter/shimmer, this puppy is like a glitter bomb. But you know, sometimes I like to channel my inter Katy Perry and run around with a sparkle face. #sparkleface

4. MAC Lip Pencil in Whirl: Um, hello. This is Kylie Jenner's lip pencil of choice. I'm f*cking obsessed. (Y'all, I typed the F word in such a frenzy when I started thinking about this lip pencil. I had to go back and delete the "u" so I don't offend any of you dolls.) I'll have a tutorial up next week for a fall look using this lip color.





(Can you spot Olive creeping in the background?)

5. Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation: There is a reason everyone on the internet is going HAM (Mom, you can Google what HAM means if you don't know) over this foundation. It provides flawless coverage, and has a nice, natural (i.e. not cakey) finish. Now don't get me wrong, you could cake this shit up sky-high. But if you use it with a beauty blender, I swear on my makeup collection, it looks like airbrush makeup. GETCHU SOME.

6. Sally Hansen Miracle Gel Polish: I wrote a full review about this polish here. I painted my nails on Thursday last week, and I just took them off last night. SEVEN DAYS WITH MINIMAL CHIPPING. Who am I!? This NEVER happens to me. In fact, my roommate read an article recently about people whose fingernails reject nail polish. HELLO, MY BIOGRAPHY. Currently, I'm rocking the red color on my nails and an amazing color called Truffle Shuffle (!) on my toes, but I also have a cornflower blue color that I'm obsessed with. If I break my No-Spend-September pact with myself, it'll be because I need to go buy every single polish color in this line.

7. L'Oreal Magic Nude Liquid Powder Foundation: This is the same concept as the Maybelline Dream Wonder foundation I mentioned in my July favorites, only this lasts two times as long on my skin. Sold. 

Other Favorites: My Lorac Pro Palette (because, colors) & the Garnier Nutrisse Nourishing Color in 50 Medium Natural Brown Truffle (this is the best at-home hair color I have ever used. If you're thinking about going from a medium blonde back to a brown color, use this. You will not regret it. My hair looks fantastic. It's so shiny and multidimensional).  

FAILS:

1. EOS Visibly Soft Lip Balm: This didn't moisturize my lips one bit. In fact, I think my lips got more and more chapped with every use.

2. Maybelline Baby Lips Crystal: This didn't moisturize my lips one bit. In fact, I think my lips got more and more chapped with every use. However, unlike the EOS balm, it did leave huge chunks of glitter all over my face (and not in the good #sparkleface way I was talking about earlier), and it also left my lips feeling gritty all day.

3. Wet N Wild Limited Edition Trio in No Scalpers Allowed: DO NOT BUY THIS. Like I said here, once I was done with the eye look I created using this trio, you couldn't even tell I had any eyeshadow on whatsoever. Fergie, if you're reading this, get your makeup line in check, girl.

What did you love in the month of August? Any product totally rock your world? Any product make you want to throw it against the wall and then cry in shame because you can't believe you spent your cold hard money on it? Let me know in the comments below!
RELATED POSTS

Post a Comment

Popular Posts